Friday, July 6, 2012

Mixed Emotions For Cuello After Ioka Vacates Belt

ABS-CBNnews.com
July 07, 2012 - 8:39 PM

Manila, Philippines - Filipino strawweight Denver Cuello is both sad and happy when he learned that Japanese champion Kazuto Ioka has decided to vacate the World Boxing Council (WBC) strawweight title, rendering it vacant.

Cuello is the No.1 contender for the WBC belt and has long been challenging Ioka, through that fight is no longer possible after the Japanese fighter elected to vacate it.

"I feel both happy and sad. Sad because I really want to fight Ioka, and happy because I'm about to become a world champion without breaking a sweat," said Cuello in a Boxing Scene interview.

Cuello holds the WBO's silver strawweight belt and he expects to be promoted to full champion by the WBC.

"We knew that he (Ioka) fought for the WBA belt because he will vacate the WBC world title at some point," Cuello said. " We were actually expecting him to avoid me, and now we're just waiting for the official announcement of my ascent to world champion."

Cuello may also end up fighting Thailand's Wanheng Menayothin, an unbeaten boxer who is also one of the WBC's top contenders at strawweight.

"I want to fight him because he's also a champion. He beat Filipinos before, including some of my friends. I want to avenge them. It will be a good fight," said Cuello.

Source: ABS-CBNnews.com
Original Story: Mixed emotions for Cuello after Ioka vacates belt

0 comments:

 

©  3 column Minima Template by Bloganol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...